What To Look For In An Online Home School
Article by Melissa Adamson
Homeschooling is perhaps the most popular type of schooling that goes outside of a formal classroom setting. Homeschooling programs, however, is not confined to the walls of our houses. Home schooling activities also involve field trips and other activities within the immediate environment that have real world application.
Homeschooling programs are increasingly becoming more and more popular nowadays due to a variety of reasons. For one, the alarming reports of violence in public schools make home schooling, especially high school homeschooling, a viable option for parents. The advent of online home school is also another factor why home schooling became popular. Online high school courses are so convenient particularly for teenagers who are not motivated attending to traditional high school courses.
The next question will then be: what should one look for in an online school, be it online middle school or online high school? Of course, the quality of online high school education should never be compromised. What we are talking about are the characteristics of a virtual high school that will ultimately give you or your children their online high school diploma.
Here are five tips on choosing an online academy that will suit your online high school education needs.
1. Make sure that the online high school has an accredited program. The online high school should be a member of the Better Business Bureau, the state’s Department of Education, National Association for the Legal Support of Alternative Schools, International Society for Technology Education, National Coalition of Alternative and Community Schools, and The College Board (SAT, PSAT, NMSQT) to name a few.
2. Check the type of curriculum that the online high school offers. Here are the types of curriculum that online high school normally offers: web-based curriculum, traditional curriculum, and other computer-based. Variety in curriculum makes students more engaged and motivated to learn. Various home school curriculum are used by parents enthusiastically. They can adapt to whatever they think is the most conducive to their child’s productivity via an online high school. Through high school homeschooling, parents can incorporate the interests of their child so they are highly motivated to learn.
3. Choose an online high school that assigns a teacher to you for an individualized and tailor fit learning. There is no guarantee that your child gets the attention that he or she needs to fully explore his or her potential and excel in a traditional large class set-up. An individual teacher is also helpful when students have concerns that should be addressed immediately.
4. Choose a virtual school that offers a variety of high school courses for you to take. A varied high school courses
5. The website of the online academy should be available to you whenever you need it. Home school students want to study at their own pace. This the point of the whole homeschooling programs.
Final words for those who have decided to go to an online home school: be prepared to invest and commit. Home schooling programs are not easy to do. It requires effort from parents and students to make sure that it will work. Otherwise, do not be afraid. Home schooling is fun and it gives you and your family the chance to study while strengthening family relationships.
Gulfside Academy8870 N Himes Ave, #343 Tampa, FL 33614 (877) 449-7840 http://www.gulfsideacademy.com/
About the Author
Contributor for various websites and magazines for over 3 years.